Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Liturgy of the Hours

As Christians, we are called to pray. I think the Bible mentions something along the lines of praying without ceasing. This is something that I am horrible at doing. I am not a good prayer warrior.

Lately, I have been spending more and more time learning about God rather than spending more and more time being with God in prayer. Some may say that when you learn about God, you are spending time with Him. While this is true since we are called to love God with our minds, we are also called to love God with our hearts and our soul(Matt 22:34-40). While I have been doing a good job recently of loving God with my mind, I have not been doing a good job of loving Him with my heart and with my soul.

I have decided that I am going to love God more with my heart and my soul through prayer. One of the ways that I am going to do that is by participating in what is called the Liturgy of the Hours or also referred to as the Divine Office. These are a set of daily prayers, scripture readings, and songs that are performed at different hours of every day.

I am making a comittment to at least do the morning prayers, every day. I can't think of any other way to start off the day right, than to spend some time with God. Universalis is a website that walks you through the entire of the Liturgy of the Hours, but I am going to use a publication called the Magnificat. It is a small book that can be carried around and used without having to be in front of the computer.

Anyone care to join me?

No comments: